Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I AM MOVING!

It's official, I am moving at the end of September. I was completely in two minds about the whole thing last night. There were so many pros and cons for both options. But I realised that this apartment, despite the initial things I will have to deal with, is exactly what I am looking for. Sure it might be old and dirty, and absolutely tiny, but the way the interior looks can be fixed, and the teeny tineyness, well, that will just add to it's charm.

So the basic layout is, you go into the kitchen. The kitchen is long and narrow with the stove and refridgerator on the right and the sink straight ahead. There is pretty much no counter space at all so I plan to put one, if not both my old dressers along the wall opposite the stove and fridge. This will give me some counter space and extra storage.

The bathroom is off the kitchen, on an angle between the sink and the stove. The bathroom is small but has a tub with a shower above it. After an initial bleach and scrub I am looking forward to a nice soak once again. The walls are painted a dark blue right now, which as there is no window in there, makes the room really dark. So I asked that they paint the bathroom to a nuetral colour before I move in. Actually I asked that he paint everything, along with the ceilings, which currently show the signs of smokers having lived there a while.

To the right of the front door is the biggest room, the living room. I say biggest room, but it is still only 12' x 10'. But a checked last night and my couch and chair should just about fit with maybe room for a small coffee table. I am planning on putting my new dresser from ikea in the living room and using it as an entertainment stand. I think it would fit in the bedroom but would leave next to no space to move in there. So I will put it in the living room. Luckily ikea make an entire range of the furniture I have in my room so I will be able to get a coffee table to match and maybe an end table with a big lamp or something. It is definitely going to be the cozy little country cottage living room I have often thought about. Did I mention the ceilings are wicked low. Not sure of the actual height but they definitely aren't standard height.

Straight ahead from the kitchen, through the living room is a really good sized laundry/storage room. There are hookups which was a big bonus, but unfortunately no washer and dryer, I will have to get those, but you can usually find some good deals on craigslist. I am going to see about putting up one of those storage systems in there that you can buy at home depot, the wire shelving units etc. This will give me space to store a lot of crap and also the over run of clothes that won't fit in my closets.

Off of the living room is the bedroom. The bedroom is tiny! It measures 9' x 10' at the widest part, but there is a closet that sticks out and takes up some of the room. When I went to see it she had her bed under the window with a dresser at the end of it. This completely filled the room. The bed was a queen, like mine, but I would arrange the furniture differently in there, with my bed on the wall facing the window rather than under it. This will also help with the heat in the winter. The bedroom has two closets without doors. She currently had a ratty curtain over the openings. I would probably take these down and just have the closets open. I keep things pretty neet so I don't see the point in closing in the already small space by adding a curtain. There is a small window in the bedroom, which again had a ratty curtain on it. I would like to get a nice curtain to match my brown and teal theme thoughout my whole place. Everything I have pretty much follows those colours. So hopefully I will be able to go to the Christmas Tree Shopp or Ross and find some cheap curtains and maybe some rugs too. The floors are all wood so I see that becoming a little cold in the winter. Will be nice to have some warmth under foot.

And that's it. As I said, it's very small, but perfect for one person. When I was there a couple were also looking at it. I can't imagine two people trying to live there. Once I have finished decorating and cleaning it up I think it is going to be a really nice and cozy little home. I am signing a one year lease but who knows what will happen after that. I have most of the things I need to get moved in and settled. My small shopping list will just comprise of a coffee table and possible end tables, some rug and curtains and eventually the storage system for the laundry room. Oh and I will also need to buy a microwave as I gave mine away when I moved.

I told my roommate today. She didn't respond yet but our other friend messaged me and told me she was sad so I know she got the message. I'll give her a call on my way home from work today. She is away right now so it's been tricky letting her know. I had to send her an email and then tell her to check it. I hated doing it that way but I had to give her a month's notice which will be this weekend. So that is done, now I can start planning my new home. Oh and Verizon Fios is available out there which is a definite advantage :)

No comments:

Post a Comment