Tuesday, August 14, 2012

School

I am going back to school again. I know I must be crazy! But I figured I worked so hard over the past two years to just throw that away now. I have 24 credits from LCCC plus what ever I can transfer from home. If I could transfer the full 12 credits from home that would give me 36 credits. Thats only 24 away from my associates degree. If I really knuckled down I could finish it in a year. My roommate was talking to me last night about school. She went to Salem State and also worked in the admissions department. She said there is a bachelors program that takes three years and is only on weekends. I could definitely do that too. It would be tough but I could do it. But I am changing my major. I originally was working on my degree in secondary education focussed on Math. Well I realised that as much as I would love to become a math teacher, the required teacher training and student teaching just isn't an option for me in my current life. So I have decided just to focus on Math. I love Math! I know if thats all I had to do at school I would definitely enjoy classes and getting work done. I can do math any time of day! I don't enjoy writing papers at all. Now I know there aren't a huge list of jobs that spring to mind for someone with a math degree, but I have a job, and although it's not really what I want to do at least it pays the bills. Having a bachelors degree in anything is better than nothing so why not get a degree in something I like doing.

It's too late to apply for this year. FAFSAs had to be completed months ago and school starts in a week. There is no way I can pay for a class myself. Plus I need to figure out where I want to go. The schools closest to me are Salem State and UMass Lowell. I would love to say I am a UMass grad. That has always been an ambition of mine. My roommate, as I said, went to Salem State so she of course has been recommending there. But I am going to check out both. I think I am going to make a start on researching now, even though I can't go for a year or so. I am going to see about getting an appointment with an advisor at both schools and seeing what they recommend. They may say for me to go to a community college to finish my associates before transferring to my four year program. I know its going to be a long journey, but I started it so I may as well finish. I have definitely learned that you can't really get very far in this country without a degree. Also, in Massachusetts, with my bachelors I could get a temporary license to teach math and then have five years to complete my masters. According to my roommate, who works in education, they are crying out for Math teachers in this state. So maybe my dreams of teaching aren't as unatainable as I thought.

Watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment